Bhaktapor... so nice!

Prof Tika uses 2 umbrellas...












Written last nite... posted this morning...




I just returned from the cyber… turned the corner and all the lights went out in our neighborhood. So, feeling rather sporting I fired up the laptop and the reading light, while Navaraj (the man who takes care of the guest house brought me tea (I must be firm… black – no sugar, no milk, no pepper please), toilet paper, water for the bathroom, and a candle. Dinner will be served soon…

It was great walking about… the term “oh the humanity” comes to mind… crowds of people walking about, shopping and looking at the things being sold on the sidewalk (how they keep the cows from walking across them I am not sure!). Its funny how these very same things are displayed and sold in the same fashion in Brasil, Mexico, Guatemala and Nepal. No doubt the Chinese instructed street merchants world over in how to carefully display cheap plastic objects, counterfeit watches, socks, plastic toys, DVDs and software, and all sorts of male and female underwear so to impede pedestrian traffic on sidewalks the world over. No doubt it is part of their plan, to clog traffic in all countries, and then build shopping malls. (a note to my Nepali friends who are reading this – that was a joke… hehehe). At any rate, I like walking about, and being looked at – sometimes people look at you with a stare, others smile, there is the occasional “Namaste”.

I like my neighborhood – it seems normal – it is not the tourist part of town, it is where people coexist with the cattle and live and work. I think I enjoy this much better than being left to my own devices in a hotel surrounded by a high wall, and detached from reality.

The pictures I am posting here are from Yesterday’s trip to Bhaktapor… the green hole is down the well that I was standing by in yesterday’s posting. I was thinking that had my son Spencer been here, he would have broken into Sasha Cowen’s song from the movie.

Rumor has it the strike was cancelled – or settled… I think so as there is traffic noise… I will be able to know when I post this in a bit.

It was cancelled all is back to normal…

Comments