Yesterday was another grand day… the strike was cancelled so I slept in a little, and then I went to the university by car. On the way we went to pick up Shashidar because we both heard there was a Chinese book fair… I figured, well I can’t read Nepali, and I can’t read Chinese (I can tell the difference between though) so what the heck… we drove over to where it was only to learn that – naturally – yesterday was the last day of the fair.
Not to worry, off we went to campus and we worked on the project and planned for class tonight.
The class went well. The students are really great, very enthusiastic, and creative. I shared parts of my talk I gave in Portland and they shared their ideas re: math in Nepal. I am so impressed by the work of Shashidar with his students. It is privilege to be here and learn form them.
Things we talked about were ideas related to: Measurement§ Weight – shared a balance used to measure weights of goods (that I have seen in the market)§ Distance –distance measure in how far you can walk during the length of time it takes a wet handkerchief to dry, or a branch of leaves (from a certain tree?) to wither§ Volume – various cups and metal bottles I see used… the names I will have to ask ShashidarA design for a water mill for grinding grainAnd a very intricate snake design that one of the students drew for us (see the picture)
I have asked them to bring lids and more ideas.

What a privilege to work with these students!

Comments