HONG KONG!

Left Kathmandu this morning with a nice goodbye from the guesthouse family, and a grand send off including the traditional flower garland… at the airport by the office guys! Dhanyabad! The plane was on schedule, but left only 20 minutes late… not a problem.

Arrived in Hong Kong, went thru customs, and got the ticket for the train to Hong Kong central station. Took a taxi to the hotel… they of course had never heard of me, but proceeded to give me a luxurious room (by any standard) for less than the reservation… I am complete culture shock – now cows, no goats, everyone lines up patiently and wouldn’t dream of cutting in front – wither traffic or human lines. It is spotless here, there are huge fines for littering, and it seems to work… and plus it is super futuristic… a perfect 14 hour break before house painting begins. It all seems rather surreal and fantastic after mediaeval Kathmandu (which I already miss).

So by then it was 8, and though I wanted to just sit in the bathtub, I went to the mountain tram and rode it to the top to get the amazing picture here of the whole city below. Well worth it, I didn’t make it to the Kowloon ferry by time to come back so… I am content, took a taxi back to the hotel and walked around a bit (they are 3 hrs ahead of Kathmandu so not really sleepy yet), then came to the room and discovered it had a varsity balcony… more pictures.

Enjoy, it is late, I must get up and see some sites before I slog off to the airport tomorrow... maybe I'll just take another hot shower… ahh… this is the life!

Comments