Some 30 Years ago...

Thanks Bruce!

________________

Back in September of 1977, some of us had just graduated from OSU and
were spending our last weeks of Corvallis living in Big House, and
enjoying each other's company. In addition to you all cc'd here, Mary
Carr (don't have her e-mail) and Tim Van Den Bos lived in Big House,
too, as I recall. (And the mystery guy, Shane.)

One of you (Dan? Kathy?) knew how to make real, drip coffee in the
morning, and that became a standard of life for me (and perhaps others
of you) since. Olga's was our place of choice to walk after dinner for
ice cream.

One morning, Dan wondered aloud (when the kitchen window was open) "how
can the neighbor's live in such squalor?" I had my grandparents old
sofa up in my large bedroom, then it ended up on the porch where the
neighborhood cats began to sleep (and pee?) on it, then a friend's
daughter inherited it at the end of the summer. In the kitchen, we had
a large wooden spool from a roll of cable for our table. Sandy
(Lineweaver) became part of our household on weekends. Jon and
Steve probably spent a night or two in the Orgy Room upstairs
-- remember that? What a great and growing time it was!

Well, I'm lucky enough to see Dick regularly, and have seen the Geisha
Girls and Dan either at Dick's or my 50th birthday parties. Jon still
calls every few months, and Steve always remembers to call on my
birthday (which is exactly one week before his). David I had a ton of
fun at our 30th Lakeridge High School reunion in 03, but since he
escaped to S. California, the best place to find him is on his web site:
http://cescapianotuning.com/home/

Dan has a web site, too: http://www.csus.edu/indiv/o/oreyd/

My partner Peg and I are doing splendidly, and I've been in the same
little warm, comfy house in Eugene for 20 years (12 of those with Peg).
Still doing ecological field work as much as possible (still,
occasionally, with Dick), and still, generally, pretty goofy.

It was a great time back then, and hopefully, it has remained so for all
of you!

Happy 30-Year Big House Memories!

Bruce

Comments