Good News Bad News...

I am a complete dope sometimes...

First the bad news

I came home from work yesterday and we didn’t have Internet, TV or telephone (We have paid our bills). So I called Surewest and they assured me that the reactivation of our service would be on WEDNESDAY… I am NOT a TV addict by any way shape or form (or so I thought) but even that was unacceptable.

Since M was in class until 930… I went over to a John L’s house to returned DVD and hang out – he’s doing his doctoral comps so I wanted to give him some moral support… we went for a walk around his neighborhood (lives in Mid-town and very nice place to walk, even at night), then before I went home to listen to the radio and read. But decided to go to the restroom as I saddled up to the toilet… my cell phone slipped out of my sweatshirt (why I put it there I have no idea) and plop into the drink it went… I fished it out, but alas...

It shorted, it gasped, it even came on once in the middle of the night, but by morning it was dead… My trusty old pal, my Treo 600 has been with me for years, in a number of countries, many journeys… sniff, sniff. So sad to see him go like this… with such a demeaning ending to a great life… his sputter, I believe was designed to say good bye... like a trusty dog giving up the ghost... with a bit a tail wag as he logged off forever...

So I was sure that I was in line at 10am at the Arden Fair Mall ATT store to be helped by a CSUS student named Dimitrii (last year student in marketing) who worked with me for an hour and we diced together the good news… oh yeah and the bad news… no DSL until Wednesday (staying with Surewest on that one), and no telephone until the 8th, and no dish service until the 15th

The good news

Now for the good news we are going towards the dish – and will get Brazilian TV… Globo, etc! woo hoo! Muito bom! They also gave us a bundling and CSUS employee discount (cell, land, dish, and long distance – even though the store is in my neighborhood there is no DSL service on our side of Marconi Avenue… PQP!

So before coming to my office to read email, hot sync my new Palm Treo 680 (Muito bom!) I stopped and bought two antennae for our TV’s (ahh the good old days!) so we can get the local stations. At least (I hope) I’ll be able to continue with the Ken Burn’s documentary on the war this Sunday…

So as soon as my new best friend charges and hot sync´s… I’ll go do some yard work… and listen to the Jazz on NPR ... for a few days...

Thank you John L (a death and dieing / grievance counselor... really!) for preparing me last night for this momentous life transition…

Comments