Chegou!

I´m here in Amparo. Milton´s family had a little cake (about 2 feet in diameter) for me... which is the perfect end to a great trip. Let me summarize:
1. I left on my birthday
2. Check in in Sacramento, with a bag full of things for Marger etal... was one pound over the limit. The nice agent lady looked at me, noticed my birthday , and said the rules are different for international flights... with a wink (Its my birthday!) .
3. Went thru a though search, because of my boot. I took it off after schleping thru LAX.
4. Followed the path from United to Delta with avoiding going thru security. Then when I asked how to get to my gate, another very nice agent lady, offered to check me in right there. (Its my birthday!) thus avoiding going in a out of security... which ain´t no fun at LAX. the boot paid off.
5. Found at the tunnel... very creepy. I´ll load the pics when I can. About 500m, and I was the only soul... in between there are huge steel doors with warning lights, the declare it may close at any time (Its my birthday and I was afraid of being trapped alone in a tunnel beneath LAX).
6. Got to my gate, and everything was decorated festively with Brazilian flags, balloons (green and yellow) and music. Come to find out my flight was the first Delta flight from LAX to São Paulo.
7. When my plane arrived (30 minutes early), we were greeted by a water salute/blessing by the airport firetrucks... everyone was clapping and enjoying the moment...
8. Upon entering the terminal, we were handed a bag welcoming us to São Paulo.
9. Immigration was a snap, and the guy I talked to was friendly and chatted me up... ahhh Brasil!
10. Got my cell phone fixed and got the bus to Teitê bus station.
11. got bus to Amparo
12. Birthday cake the size of a small table... they are all watching a futebol game, while I organize my things, recharge my computer, kindle, camera, cell phone and Ipod... its a bit much I know.
13. Getting up early to get bus to São Paulo as M has a palestra @ USP, we are spending Friday doing the town.. Our goals: Mercado and Edificio Banespa...
14. Dinner with Ubiratan D´Ambrosio and friends on Friday... there are rumors of cachaça.
15. Back to the Rosal on Saturday as they insist that we have to go out partying on Saturday... who am I to offend, eh?

I am so thoroughly totally completely happy and I have only here less than a few hours.

Comments

So you have a camera. Where are the photos of you, Ubi and the birthday party. Luck you!
oreydc said…
it takes awhile to get things set up and functioning here after a year away... see today´s post!