Cidade maravilhosa! Parabens Rio! Parabens Brasil! Parabens Sud Amercia!

For me and everyone who loves Brasil it is a green and yellow day…

My head is swimming. I went to bed last night, thinking awshit… Obama showed at Copenhagen and well, Brasil is once again destined to be the bridesmaid. (Apparently Lula had the same impression) Maybe next time...

I woke up and began to watch CNN, switching back and forth from CNN and CNNi, first news… Chicago was knocked out. What? Impossible! Then on the next ballot, Tokyo was out... MY GAWD… its goign to happen... (I began to dance a little samba... as I heard drumming in my head). The next hour was excruciating… "please, oh please, give it to them… they need it more than anything…"

Then the ceremony, and suddenly the envelope was opened… and I was standing in my living room, crying and dancing ! Then I had to run to observe a student teacher, it seemed surreal... outside, nothing had changed, the world was different... Brasil just became the host to the world in 2016... Chicago will get another chance, the USA always does...

Most gringos don’t get it, somehow we think we should always win, win everything… but sometimes you win, when your best friends win as well..

This is good, its very good, Chicagoans were really split about hosting this, and the Cariocas and Brazilians in generally wanted it, indeed needed it more than anybody. They deserve this more than ever, and the world will finally see what I have come to see, that Brasil, is the future; it is a good place, with the kindest, funniest, most creative people on the planet.

And for all you self centered silly gringos, who think that you have to have it because you wanted it. Not to worry, we will take all the medals... but in a setting, and amongst the greatest city on earth...

So my message to Brasil is this: “Your giant inferiority complex… over, chega!Como dice Lula: ‘Brasil e povo merecem’

now queue the music... Cidade maravilhosa!

Comments