From K to T at 15th & Q

I had the nicest afternoon.

I just returned from meeting K at the Naked Lounge. Freud explains everything. The Naked Lounge is a great little coffee place on the corner of 15th and Q streets on the grid in downtown Sacramento.

What was I doing there on a terribly hot, but normal summer afternoon? I met my friend K, for the first time. I used to know her by another name and gender as my yoga instructor. S/he led my Gay men’s yoga class for a couple of years. We had a core group of great guys led by a great teacher who met at various locations as we grew, then the numbers declined, as activities do in Sacramento... interest, terrible excitement, growth, move on... decline... it’s all very ADD.

Towards the end, we all thought something was up, as things began to change… we looked buff, and we began to feel a little distance in our teacher, the core of us older guys didn’t know the proper protocol for when a terribly hot yoga instructor makes a change. To be honest we didn’t have a problem, other than he… she (excuse me) decided to end our class. When T attempted to cancel us a few times… we begged, we moved, we accommodated, but one could tell, T wanted to break up with us... but we held on... I kept saying to the guys after T left… “he’s transitioning… I tells ya!” But how do you ask, someone, "pardon me sir... I mean mam..." You just have to wait it out.

Awkward...

It was just one of those things that none of us had learned how to deal with in charm school. There is no hint on pg. 38 of Emily Post… "How to ask your naked men’s naked yoga instructor, if they are transitioning to become a woman…" (I forgot say the class was a men’s naked yoga class). At least I don’t remember it. Emily would say it is probably best to wait until you are dressed, that is for sure... but I digress.

But really, how do you say to someone you appreciate and care for, who gave so much of her soul and spirit to a group of yoga bears?

“It’s OK, if you are K instead of T, and besides the dress looks fabulous!”

All of us, doctors, lawyers, professors… after seeing everyone au naturale for over 3 years twice weekly, were a bit verklempt when the course ended, and sad that we didn't have the where with all to say or pop the question...

So in comes me, with few if any boundaries left. A few days ago, I contacted her via his email (she then sent me her email) and we set a date for coffee at the Naked Lounge (everyone was dressed there, btw). So I met K, on the corner of 15 & Q. I rather think that is how you deal with changes… just confront them, and love them… and she looks fabulous.

A big hug to you K! You are one classy lady!

Comments