Via Truthout: Thom Hartmann | Roll Back the Reagan Tax Cuts

Thom Hartmann, Berrett-Koehler Publishers: "When I was in Denmark in 2008 doing my radio show for a week from the Danish Radio studios and interviewing many of that nation's leading politicians, economists, energy experts, and newspaper publishers, one of my guests made a comment that dropped the scales from my eyes. We'd been discussing taxes on the air and the fact that Denmark has an average 52 percent income-tax rate. I asked him why people didn't revolt at such high taxes, and he smiled and pointed out to me that the average Dane is very well paid, with a minimum wage that equals roughly $18 per hour. Moreover, what Danes get for their taxes (that we don't) is a free college education and free health care, not to mention four weeks of paid vacation each year and notoriety as the happiest nation on earth, according to a major study done by the University of Leicester in the United Kingdom. But it was once we were off the air that he made the comment that I found so enlightening."

Read the Article
 

Comments