I am a confused gringo Who doesn´t know his mother´s name // Eu sou um gringo rolado, confuso que não sabe o nome de Mãe dele


So let me tell you all about my trip to the city on Monday

When I got my visto permanente in San Francisco I was told that I need to register with the Policia Federal (immigration) with in 30 days on arrival… so segunda I took the 8 am bus to BH to meet the Anjo Mirian, a colleague of mine here in CEAD who retired from the Policia Federal to teach with us in CEAD.

Two words: thank gawd!

As nice as folks have been  @ the consulado, even imigração in the airport… here is where I hit the wall… the website tells you nothing about what you have to do, even the map is wrong. 

Mirian was prepared and showed her ID and things moved along, we even got a list of things to do… while I sat in line she went and paid my taxas and had pages made from the passport, and so after lunch (we arrived @ 11am… and finally was called at 130pm). We went in and a rather dizzy official looked at my docs, mixed them up on his desk, stamped, ok´d everything and I was finger printed by a rather swarthy guy watching a page on the Grateful Dead. Things went along fairly well, and on the way out Mirian asked the head guy if I could get my RNE (number) since she was “one of them” I was called in, with in 5 minutes to sign a page I didn’t sign, and went back out, when I was called in again… apparently the name of my mother on my birth certificate doesn’t match the name of my mother on an early visa application which isn’t the own on this current visa application… 


uh oh...

So he told me he would save all my paperwork in a drawer there, and that I had to go and get all these names changed to one on my official docs… 

The name of your mother is a primary part of Brazilian documents and applications and of course everything must match.  

How did this happen… well the name on my ancient birth certificate is with her name at birth, not her current name, a visa application online about 10 years ago asked me her maiden name… and so wrote her name like they do here … first name, maiden name, married name… so some docs say Dorothy Jean Washington, some say Dorothy Washington Orey, others say Dorothy Jean Orey… and since  your three ID numbers and your mother’s name all combine to let folks know who you are vs some mafioso drug lord with the same name, you can see why they want all this cleared up.

Sigh…

So now I am printing out copies from my passport, birth certificate and having them all autenticado… to take to BH… in a week… where Mirian offered to help me, as I travel form one office to the next before I hand in the 2 inch think collections of paper to get that ID card which will arrive in a couple of months… that is if he doesn’t spot an other minor flaw.

Comments