I came back from the Greenhouse Cyber (the one on the 111rd floor)… and changed into my shorts and was reading in my room… my head saying how nice to have a day off (everyone in the house had informed me of the band = strike (pronounced: bundt like the cake). I read exactly 5 pages, and then Mohit (Navaraj’s son) came upstairs and said “Sir your car is ready to take you to the university”. So here I am… happy and well. It is a hot and humid day (only mid 80’s here...the poor folks in India are suffering with 120 plus)… but I digress…

So… Milton asked (minus the sir…), “What is the name of the snake design and its significance?”

I asked Professors Shashidar and Tika here in the office what the names of things we talked about were in the class… they drew the diagram in my notebook (see picture).

The name of the Snake pattern is called Naag (pronounced: na:g). We will investigate it further. But I remembered that I had taken a picture of the design in red / wood on a gate in Bhaktapor and that we could connect it to some möbius strip work and explorations on Sunday’s class. (see the next picture).

As well I asked for more information re: the three distances shared in class.

Syauli Kosh – is the distance one walks with a certain kind (we need to find out what kid it is) of branch wilts while you walk. I guess that it is longer than a Rumal Kush.
Rumal Kush - is the distance one walks with a wet hanky (rumal) until it dries. I might guess that on a day like this it would be a longer walk as it is quite humid it is a good day for planting rice outside (See the snap I just took outside my office window).
Chautaro kosh – is this distance a man with his doko (basket) takes to walk form one chautaro to another. These chautaros are round benches beneath Banyan trees. There is one next to a small temple at the turn off from the mains street to the lane to the university.

Shahshi-ji also shared the terms “dost” - but Tika jsut said it should be "haat" and “bitta”. A bitta is the span of your thumb to middle (longest finger). Weirdly enough two bittas equal one haat… try it!

So 1 Mohit is the time it takes a professor to change his clothes, relax and read 5 pages of a book.

Comments