Let sleeping dogs...

People are too good to me… first I have a driver to and from work. Then I am in the university guest house… so I get breakfast and dinner, and a very, very nice room on the top floor of the house with my own bathroom, and balcony. While at the campus a young man appears periodically with a tray of tea cups... they serve it hot and with a lot of sugar and milk... I am getting to be rather fond of it, actually. Everyone calls each other "sir" here...

There is a very nice family that lives in the guest house and worries about me.

The Father’s name is: Navaraj
The Mother’s name is: Sharmila
The Son is called: Mohit
And the youngest daughter is called: Moni.

When I want to take shower/bath… I bring my bucket down stairs and ask Navaraj to bring me hot water. So then I dump a bunch all over me, soap down, and then repeat (of course this is in my bathroom, not downstairs).

Its all rather fun, and funny as the bathroom is completely set up with knobs for hot/cold water… it is just that the water doesn’t go to my floor… ahh… the price I pay for a good view!

This morning I got up and asked Navaraj to call me a taxi, he arranged for a guy to take me to Bodhnath... but instead I was taken to Swayambhunath. (Pay attention gentle reader as there will be a spelling test later…) The difference between the two is that one is on the other side of the city from the other… about half way there I realized that he was taking me to the other… I thought to myself, “self… that is ok; I wanted to go see this place as well.

Besides playing havoc with my spell checker, Swayambhunath is amazing. Up on a hill above the city, you climb through a forest and are visited by monkeys. Enjoy the “snaps” as they are called here. On the way back to the house to change before work… there were two cows being fed white bread by a woman at the temple by the house, I was run off the sidewalk by a small herd of goats… and I enjoyed these dogs on the way up to Swayambhunath temple. Must go as I need to post this and the “snaps” before our meeting with the UNESCO representative…

Note: after posting this, I was invited to yet another meeting... on the way a MONGOOSE ran across the road!

Today's count
cows (sacred variety of course): 16
mongoose (nongeese? mongosses?): 1
monkeys: 2 dozen at least...

Dhanyabahd!



















































Comments