Vicki writes:

By now you are settled in mountainous Nepal. Hopefully the flight wasn't too grueling. How is the gut holding up? Are the people absolutely wonderful? V

I shall answer to the best of my knowledge…

The people here are a total laugh riot... they make me smile, they make me laugh, and everyone is so sweet… so very kind. They humble me by their kindness. The family that runs the guest house… makes sure there is tea for me in the morning, and then they bring a big bucket of hot water for me to do my “shower with”.

Today I went out by myself… I got my pictures I ordered last nite fro my visa, I bought a bar of soap, and called my parents… I felt so very grown up! Then Shashi came and got me to take me to the Fulbright office to do somethings, then we went to lunch in Patan ata great little place that looked over the Durbar Square.

I love the sound of the Nepali language… and weirdly enough I understand parts of it…

The city is just plane amazing... sooooooooo noisy... it is chaos with a smile… people wave and bow at me when I look… the motor bikes, horns and cows... then at nite you can hear a pin drop... I woke up last nite around 1am (still jet lagging a bit) and it was so nice and cool, and then the next thing I knew the sun was coming up and the birds were making noise and then the city gradually begins towards its daily crescendo…

went to the required security briefing… so there is a little bit of tension in the air... political demonstrations and a strike called for on Sunday and Monday which puts a crimp in a few plans.. .but such is life here… speaking of plans… you should see the plans they have for me... lets see:

1. besides giving a keynote, and talks, and co-teaching the ethnomathematics course I am giving some workshops, and consulting, and writing a proposal to UNESCO, etc.. they insist that I take the early morning flight over Everest, go on a one day retreat in monastery… I want to go to Lumbini - the Buddha’s birthplace - but that region may not be so good to visit at this time, then there is Pokhara a beautiful city in the mtns, it goes on... and all the things here to see

The teaching is great, the people are super… I am soooooooooooooooo lucky to be here…

Comments