Off to Petra in a few hours

On campus at the the Israel Institute ofr Technology - the Technion:
All is well; everything in this part of the country is a normal as can be. Windy and cold here tonight. Everyone I have met is as upset as anyone anywhere about the situation in Gaza - that includes Israeli Arabs and Jews. Once again, these things are far more complex than what is perceived on the news, and I feel fortunate to be able to see what it is really like to live here, and to meet really good people. This opportunity to work and hang with people here, instead of a tourist has been rewarding to say the least.

It has been a great few days, I learned a lot, and Boris and I made major progress on our chapter for the special edition (working title: Relationships Between Cognitive and Cultural Aspects of Mathematical Problem Posing). As well, I hope I can return to work on more of this research as well as with a project that works with Jews and Arabs in the community. It’s a real privilege to be able to work with these guys.

I talked to Spencer yesterday; he was catching a bus back to Bamako from Mopti with Nikki. I am looking forward to visiting Petra, Spencer really liked it.

After a pleasant day working on campus, I went for a walk, took a sheroot downtown and ended up at the Bahá’í Centre and spent some quality time in the Shrine of the Báb. Now resting a bit before Boris comes to take us to the bus for Elat for our tour to Petra just across the border in Jordan tomorrow. We take another night bus back and will be back in Haifa by 5am on Friday.

Then I take the taxi to the airport @ midnight to catch my plane home.

Comments