UK Healthcare: My colleague Vicki forwarded this from her friend Elaine who got it from her friend Everlyn

From Vicki

-----Original Message-----
From: Elaine
Subject: FW: the bright side

My friend Everlyn Nicodemus gave me permission to forward this letter. You
may forward it too if you like, especially if you have friends in the US who
are not in the choir. Everlyn lives in Edinburgh and is Tanzanian with
Swedish citizenship, not UK. Her health problems were severe before moving
to the UK. I asked her if she were getting adequate health care in Scotland.
This is her reply.
Love,
Mom/Elaine

-----Original Message-----
From: everlyn
Subject: the bright side

Dear Elaine,

As you know Scotland has just like the rest of Britain the NHS, the National
Health Service. So visits to the family doctor are free. And so are
medicines with exception of a £14 fee every four months for those under 65
who can afford it. From next year everything connected to health care will
be free for everybody in Scotland, just as Scottish students do not need to
pay university fees like they do in the rest of the country.

In Belgium, where I benefitted from a health insurance based on an agreement
with the Swedish social insurance, I nevertheless had to pay a good part of
the costs. It put economic burden upon psychological burden, which it is a
relief to be spared. I feel Scottish healthcare is the best and most human
on this planet.

So, yes, the ambulance did arrive. And the paramedics did attend me, and
they functioned as psychotherapists, calming me, as I refused to let them
take me to hospital for fear of another medical mishap. And that was for
free as well. Instead they phoned a doctor to come to my home, and he duly
turned up with his medical knapsack. And also that was free, not to mention
that he sent a report to my GP, who made his secretary phone me for an
appointment.

People here cannot understand the American attacks upon the British NHS
or the vicious campaign against Obama wanting a good health care and
insurance for all Americans. That's things that make us mystified about
America to say the least. I think Europeans and the rest of the world are
trying very hard in these days to find out what is America.

Stay strong my dear friend! We shall overcome!!!

Love

Everlyn

OBS Edinburgh has now the biggest regular African film festival in Europe.
If you visit www.africa-in-motion.org.uk and www.filmhousecinema.com you
will see what they are showing.

Comments