LB, a star math student interviewed me for another class

Interview Essay

I interviewed Mr. Daniel Orey my LS7A math teacher before class at 1:15 in Lassen Hall on October 29, 2009. For the past 11 weeks I’ve been attending Mr. Orey’s math class. Math is my worst subject and it always has been. I literally hate it, but somehow over the course of this class he has made me finally understand these subjects I’ve been struggling with since middle school. On my last two tests I received A’s! This is a miracle in my world. Orey’s joking personality and helpful presence really shows his students he cares. I knew I wanted to interview him from the beginning to see how he became this great teacher he is today.

Before I interviewed Orey my assumptions included that he was from a large town because he seems really comfortable with diversity and interacting with his students. Past majors could have been business or something related to math. I figured he has a master’s degree at least, being as intelligent in math as he is and as a person. His past jobs in college could have been at a restaurant or office job, the usual for college students. Perhaps even a math tutor for other students, which may have also been how he became a professor. I think his interests may include reading and a sport of some kind, maybe basketball because he’s tall or running. I’m not sure if he wants to keep doing his job here at Sacramento, but I’m guessing he does. He seems to really enjoy what he does.

Daniel Orey, 54, was born in San Jose and raised in the small town of Grants Pass, Oregon where he attended high school, which he enjoyed and his goal was always to leave town and attend college. He liked diversity and learning about other people’s cultures, but his town wasn’t exactly diverse. He attended first Oregon State, then New Mexico State, and lastly the University of New Mexico. His major was architecture until it was closed, and after switching around for a while from political studies to business and he then became interested in teaching. From there he enrolled into a teaching program because he had always liked tutoring. Orey always enjoyed math throughout his school years, yet his hardest class was accounting. He accumulated a BA in education, a Masters in curriculum with an emphasis in math and science, and a doctorate in multicultural education. There were multiple jobs he had, working at first a garbage truck company in Josephine County, then a forest service fire fighter and also in a grocery store. As for college, his activities were limited because he was an RA in college and was always busy putting together dorm activities and running clubs, so there weren’t many sports played or parties occupying his time.

Now Daniel Orey is a core faculty member at Sacramento State doctoral program and enjoys teaching math to the students which he appreciates so much. He expressed that his job allows him to do amazing things and meet wonderful students. He respects the system at Sacramento State as well but does wish that they would stop beating up on the students, teachers, and families with all the budget cuts, furlough days, and raises in tuition. He wants to keep working at Sac State for the time being, but would like to one day move to Brazil and teach math at a university there.

A typical day for Orey includes going to the gym in the morning, meeting with teachers, writing in his office, teaching students, and then going home to relax with his partner. His son has grown up and is now out of the house so it’s pretty quiet at home. His interests are now working in the garden and weeding, traveling, reading (travel novels in particular) and working out at the gym. He still has a core diverse group of friends from college, which he considers family, who he sees on a regular basis. He has no regrets in his life except he wishes he could have traveled more if he had had more money and not let his friends influence him as much, but basically he covered his goals in college and life. His advice to college students today is to get involved and be aware of what’s going on in your community and the news because together we are strong, divided we fail.

Some of my assumptions were correct, while others were challenged. I was right about him starting as a tutor, which led into his teaching career focus and one of his interests being reading. He also liked math throughout his high school and college days, which I had figured considering he’s a math teacher presently. I was wrong about him being from a large town, though he did express he wished he had grown up around more diversity because his town didn’t have much, which was one of the reasons he wanted to move. He has a PhD. not just a Masters, which doesn’t surprise me much. His jobs differed from what I had assumed originally, instead of a restaurant job or office occupation he worked in a forest service and a grocery store. While he didn’t play sports in college, he does work out every day now. It did surprise me that he wants to one day move to Brazil and teach there because I thought he would want to stay here. I think it is a very interesting and excellent goal for him to achieve in the future.

I enjoyed interviewing Daniel Orey. It made me learn a lot more about my teacher, but also how paths in college can lead you to many different occupations, but your true passion will always shine through in the end. I realized switching majors is common and makes me wonder if I may in the future change mine as well. I felt closer to him because I know more about him and my reactions were limited because class was at 1:30, shortly after the interview. We were laughing by the end and I thanked him for being so helpful and polite. I’m happy I got the chance to interview a teacher I respect so highly.

Comments