A few words and short and an inadequate video....



When I placed the pictures on the blog, Victor asked me if I was going to write anything.


Today its hard, not just because I am still a bit fuzzy… but from the impressions left from last night.


First, the city has been plagued by violence for years, yet last night there was barely a thing. I think the worst was having to tow 200 cars parked illegally, no gunshots, and despite the general drunkenness no crime at all. Maybe that is why we like to gather on these moments in herds of thousands, because it shows promise, it shows us what the world should be like.


First there was a show on the big screens the people sang the song about Rio… Cidade Maravilhosa… coordinated fireworks from the barges anchored off shore went on and on and on… my pictures can’t possibly capture it… just the idea.


So what are my reactions? It’s really impossible to sum it up, as I am so thoroughly in love with this country and its people and my friends and family here. But, try and imagine a city of 2.5 million on any night, and you’d have some problems, but last night, almost zero. This to me is so hopeful, it is so encouraging, and it shows us that humans can be civil, and tolerant and loving if you just get us drunk enough.

Comments