A note on Vic’s Mother

Is in her 80’s and takes the metrô to see him and back… I am trying to imagine my mother or Milton’s (both markedly younger doing the same).

She is taking an English class so she talk with all of Victors gringo friends.

She’s really quite a figura. She walks around easily and is really independent, I look forward to being that active, clear in the head, and engaged with the world at that age.

She reminds me of the Spanish gentleman I sat with on the bus from Pokhara to Kathmandu. He was 85, traveling by himself. Knew not a word of English or Nepali for that matter, and was doing really quite grand. Of course he was thrilled to sit with someone who spoke some Spanish. Or my friend Kay in Berkeley, who I went snorkeling with in Costa Rica. Kay works on trail restoration in Yosemite every summer, she is 82!

Comments