Via Jerry P. Becker

****************************

This note is from a classroom teacher, for your information. The teacher did not ask me to send the note out on the distribution list ...

*******************************
Dear Jerry,

I just wrote a letter to our new Governor, a Republican for whom I voted, by the way.

I explained to him that if I am to treat my classroom like a business and be rewarded or punished for my students' performance, a few things would need to change.

I would want to interview each student (candidate), and choose the ones with whom I could work most effectively.

I would want to be able to fire them for lateness or excessive absence, lack of proper equipment, failure to complete work assignments, poor performance, insolence or disrespect toward me or anybody else, and of course sleeping on the job.

Or, don't treat my classroom as a business.

These students are, after all, children.  As God is not finished with them and neither are we, most of us give them a fresh start every day, hoping to eventually bring out the very best in each child.

I've been teaching since 1972, and it took me a few years to realize that those misbehaviors were not necessarily directed at me, but were the result of multitudes of factors way beyond my control.

I would encourage those who are currently maligning teachers to spend a day or so unassisted in front of a classroom.

Nancy

Comments