Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Via JMG: Hugging Towers Update


In early May of this year I blogged the following:
One week after 9/11, I rescued the above unsigned painting from the front wall of the elementary school on my Chelsea street. It was one of hundreds affixed there in what doubtlessly was a group therapy project for the children. A violent rainstorm had just begun when I removed it and by morning the hundreds of other drawings lay ruined in puddles. I'll never own one of the repulsive commercial 9/11 souvenirs still being hawked on downtown corners, but Hugging Towers (as I have dubbed it), I'll keep forever.
It turns out that I won't be keeping Hugging Towers forever as (thanks to a JMG reader) I've been contacted by the folks at the World Trade Center Memorial and Museum who requested that I donate the piece to them. Of course, I said yes.

The hand-off will take place at the Memorial next week and hopefully I'll be allowed to take some photos of the moment. I'm humbled to have a tiny role in this and maybe one day we'll learn the identity of the artist, who may now be college-age.

Labels: , , ,

reposted from  Joe

No comments:

Copyright 2011 by Daniel C. Orey All rights reserved. No part of this website may be reproduced or utilized in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording, or by any information storage and retrieval system, without permission in writing from the author.