Memories of Gladys, My Grandmother – Daniel Orey

I loved her house, the way the back door creaked and slammed.

I remember how more often than not you always came in the back door to see her in the kitchen.
I remember how I would be asked to go get wood for her stove.

I remember a big old encyclopedia she had with pictures of Latin America… a girl in parasol standing on an enormous Vitoria Regina lily pad, pictures of Machu Pichu and maybe a pic of Torres del Paine that served as the first seed towards my love of travel and Latin America.

I remember how she would make do with what was in the refrigerator - her sandwiches – red onion or peanut butter and lettuce and miracle whip (that one has stayed with me).

I remember how she would cook even the puniest little fish we caught at the sump and make it seem like a feast.

I remember being fascinated by her wringer washer, and helping her hang out the laundry in the back (I think I got stuck in it once).

I remember getting into her trunk of costumes in the garage attic and dressing up the dog, Snookie, and the drive we all made into town to surprise Aunt Judi’s parents.

I remember having to watch Lawrence Welk (ugh!) on her TV and how everyone knew who was who on that show.

I remember a story she made (wrote?) about money that she glued all the coins onto for my birthday.
I remember her flowers.

I remember the raspberries, and the way you could dig up a carrot, dust it off, run water in the hose over it and eat it right there with her.

I remember her rhubarb pie.

I remember her on her tractor, and how we would take the garbage to the dump with it, on the trailer and the dog following along.

I remember going to get manure for her garden in Uncle Ron’s blue pickup.

I remember helping her in the yard and how we were all terrorized by Hinge the rooster, and how she was attacked by him while I watched, and turned grabbed him and lopped off his head in front of me… I never argued with her after that.

I remember dinners, and laughing and Aunt Laura and Uncle John coming in and joining us all.

I remember how I wanted to live at her house.

I remember how she suffered from pain – hips, hands - but I never once heard her complain or even talk about it.

I remember cousins playing by the creek, and how the big bell by the front of the garage was rung for us to come in.

I remember how she labeled the beef in her freezer by the name of the cow, often named after a political figure, so that people would ask, “Who are we eating now?”

I remember her visiting in San Jose, and playing checkers.

I remember, that not long after she passed away, having a dream, where I woke up to her holding and patting my hands like she used to with her old gnarled hands, and heard her say to me, “it’s ok”.

And most importantly, I remember feeling loved… unconditionally.

The only regret I have is that my son and my husband will never meet her.


Daniel Clark Orey
Sunday, February 5, 2012
Ouro Preto, Minas Gerais, Brasil

Comments