University of California Fee Hikes

Hi All,

Please feel free to forward this about to your students, fellow
faculty, past/present/prospective parents and students of the Calif.
public university system. My sole desire right now is to inspire
people to use the portals of democracy that are in place to have our
voices heard. We cannot stand idly by and allow public education in
this state to disintegrate. This is a call to action.

Below you will find my email to my representative of the 47th District
of the California State Assemblywoman, Karen Bass. The content is in
regards to this week's UC Regents decision to raise UC fees by 33%
next year, which lead to an inspiring and powerful student protest at
my home campus (UCLA) over the past three days. To learn more read the
article:
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2009/11/uc-regents-approve-fee-hike-amid-loud-student-protests.htm

I passionately encourage you all to write to your representatives.
Whether you are a graduate, a current student, a prospective/future
California college student, or simply a California resident this issue
effects you and we must take a stand. Write from your heart and demand
a better future for this state, which absolutely depends upon
affordable access to public education.

If you do not know who is representing you, you can find out who your
representatives in the house are by simply entering your zipcode:
https://writerep.house.gov/writerep/welcome.shtml
and your representatives in the California state senate and assembly:
http://www.senate.ca.gov/~newsen/senators/senators.htp
and of course your senators are Dianne Feinstein and Barbara Boxer,
and their contacts can be found at:
http://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm?State=CA

There is a huge journey ahead of Californians to fix a very broken
public school system, but do not be disheartened to the point of
inaction. Every voice can make a difference. "You don't have to see
the whole staircase, just take the first step." -MLK

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Speaker Bass:

I would like to know your stand on the current situation at UCLA and
your position on the rising costs of public education.

I am a California public school student through and through: I
attended grade school in Fontana, CA, junior high and high school in
Claremont, CA, I received my AA from San Diego City College, my BA
from UC Berkeley, and now I am in the first quarter of my MFA at UCLA.
Since my SD City days, I have also been pursuing my education as a
single mother, and fee hikes have always had a strongly adverse effect
on me, my son, and my ability to pursue my education.

I want to know what you plan to do to stand up for the public
university system in California and the student body that lives and
learns in your district. The University of California's website boasts
about the economic contributions of the universities and its students:
http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/aboutuc/mission.html

But now the system is burdening its students with unprecedented,
crushing economic hardship. In your vision statement on your website,
you say yourself, "In the end, we as a society will be judged on how
we treat our people—be they young children in the foster care system,
students trying to get an education without excessive debt, or the
elderly who just need a little help to stay independent in their own
homes." So, I ask, what actions will you take to hold the UC system
and the state of California accountable in making strides toward
affordable access to public education? What will you do to remind
these institutions that we, the students, are the future of the
economic wellbeing of this great state?

Thank you for your time,

Nicole G
MFA Candidate, UCLA
Los Angeles resident 90025

Comments